Monday, May 24, 2010
Col. John Milton Sherwood Home
Col. John Milton Sherwood built this home with its gingerbread trim in 1844. Today it is an apartment complex at its original location at 21 Sherwood.
Col. John Milton Sherwood was the son of Issac Sherwood, who developed a thriving stagecoach business in central New York. Issac Sherwood moved his family to Skaneateles NY and opened an inn on the present site of the Sherwood Inn. This inn also housed Sherwood's stagecoach offices.
In 1823, Issac Sherwood obtained the contract to carry the U.S. mail and relocated his family in Auburn. In 1831, Issac Sherwood built the American Hotel on Genesee Street opposite Exchange Street.
Issac Sherwood's son John joined the business as chief operator. The father and son invested in the early Auburn and Syracuse Railraod.
With the stage coach business coming to an end John Sherwood purchased the Garrow farm and adjacent Steel farm on West Genesse Street and on these 360 acres built this home.
Col. Sherwood entered the farming and breeding business with a passion. Col. Sherwood introduced and breed European cattle, sheep, and swine. He planted a beautiful park around his dwelling.
After the death of his wife in 1852, Col. Sherwood would remarried and sold Sherwood farm and home to Charles P. Wood. The Sherwoods moved to Syracuse NY where Col. Sherwood died on April 20, 1871. Col. Sherwood is buried in Fort Hill Cemetery.
~ Information from the Then & Now article - The Citizen Lake Life (5/23/10)