Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Daisy


Daisy


Innocence


I'd choose to be a daisy,
If I might be a flower;
Closing my petals softly
At twilight's quiet hour;
And waking in the morning,
When fails the early dew,
To welcome Heaven's bright sunshine,
And Heaven's bright tear-drops too.
I'd Choose To Be A Daisy, Anonymous


Daisy means the day's eye, or the eye of the day. The daisy is the children's flower. They love to gather it for posies and for making daisy chains.



If a little girl picks a bunch of daisies with her eyes shut, the number of flowers in the posy will be the number of years before she marries. Young girls have always told their fortunes by pulling the petals off to the refrain "He loves me, he loves me not".

The daisy is quite true to its name, for in the morning it opens with the light of day and when the sun goes down it folds up its white petals again as if it were going to sleep.

No comments: