In the late 1890s and early 1900s Polish immigrants began arriving in large numbers in Auburn, NY. These immigrants were escaping the repressive government of the Prussians. The Polish community began worshiping at St. Alphonsus Church.
In 1905, The Rev. Stanislaus J. Szupa was sent to Auburn to establish a Polish-speaking church. The photo below shows the exterior of that church built on Pulaski Street and dedicated on Easter Sunday in 1907.
This building housed six classrooms and a living area for the nuns who taught at the school. In 1937 an additional six classrooms were added. This building continued to be used as a K-8 school until 1981. A shrine to Our Lady of Fátima adorns the front of the building today.
In 1949 a rectory was built.
The present St. Hyacinth's Church was dedicated in November of 1964.