This house is located on the northeast corner of South Street and Hamilton Avenue.
Built in 1881 for Charlotte Dennis, the widow of Cyrus C. Dennis, the first mayor of Auburn. It was then purchased by the Henry J. Sartwell family and remained in the family for several generations. Sartwell operated a dry goods store in Auburn and later manufactured shoes and boots. His widow, Amarilla Beardsley Sartwell turned the house to one daughter and then to another daughter, Mrs. Alonzo Beardsley Jr.
In recent years the Sartwell house was converted into apartments and restored.