On this property was the home of Gen. John H. Chedell. Chedell was born in Otsego County. Upon the death of this father, Chedell apprenticed in the jewelry business. At the age of 21, Chedell moved to Auburn. Here Chedell opened a jewelry store at 103-105 Genesee Street. Chedell invested wisely in the Oswego Starch Co., and with this fortune, invested in the first Auburn and Syracuse Railway, as well as the Southern Central. Chedell served as president of the Southern Central and he served on the board of directors of the Leigh Valley and the New York Central railroads. Chedell was named brigadier general in 1857 of the 23rd Brigade and served in that capacity for 20 years.
Gen. Chedell donated land for the for St. John's Church as well as the bell tower and spire for St. Peter's Epiccopal Church in 1873. Chedell was a founding member of teh Orphan Asylum.
Upon the death of Gen. Chedell in 1875, the property on South Street remained in the family. In 1950 the South Street home was sold to Drs. Mary and Alan Koirkwood. The Kirkwoods razed the building and constructed the present-day building shown above. Today, 73 South Street houses the dentistry offices of Drs. William and James Elkovitch.
~ Information provided by Sheila Tucker, Cayuga County Historian